JFREJ is Hiring
Job Opening: Community Organizer, Jews For Racial & Economic Justice
About Jews For Racial & Economic Justice: For 25 years, Jews For Racial & Economic Justice (JFREJ) has pursued racial and economic justice in New York City by advancing systemic changes that result in concrete improvements in people’s everyday lives. We are inspired by Jewish tradition to fight for a sustainable world with an equitable distribution of economic and cultural resources and political power. The movement to dismantle racism and economic exploitation will be led by those most directly targeted by oppression. We believe that Jews have a vital role to play in this movement. The future we hope for depends on Jews forging deep and lasting ties with our partners in struggle.
We are currently seeking an 4-days-per-week (80%) Community Organizer for a one-year position (with the possibility of continuance, based on funding) to focus on Jewish Resistance and our work combatting Islamophobia. The Community Organizer will also work to strengthen the overall JFREJ membership base, and support our leadership development, political education, and cultural programming.
Applications are due on Monday, February 20th at 5 PM. We will begin to review candidates as soon as applications are received.
The Community Organizer will be responsible for the following:
- Working with the Organizing Team on short and long-term campaigns
- Working with member working groups and caucuses
- Growing JFREJ’s grassroots membership base
- Building, training, and supporting JFREJ’s membership to successfully take on increasing leadership roles in campaigns and throughout the organization
- Building relationships with JFREJ’s ally organizations, and with Jewish institutions and organizations throughout the city and state
- Supporting JFREJ’s Grace Paley Organizing Fellowship, political education programming, organizational fundraising, communications, and other organizing efforts as needed
- Supporting the overall infrastructure of JFREJ to keep our systems streamlined as we grow in this current political moment.
Jews For Racial & Economic Justice seeks candidates who are results-oriented, excel at building relationships, and have demonstrated success managing complicated projects. The Community Organizer will have:
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting (and exceeding) high standards and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles
- Proven success in relationship development and base-building as a professional or volunteer community organizer
- Demonstrated ability to break down large projects into smaller discrete tasks that can be distributed to member leaders
- A sense of humor and ability to roll with the punches in an ever-shifting political and organizational movement landscape
- Commitment to, and experience with, collaborative team structure and work environments
- Deep knowledge of racial justice and economic justice issues
The following are a plus but not requirements:
- Experience organizing with low-income communities, people of color, and immigrant communities
- Familiarity with the New York Jewish community and the New York political landscape
- Familiarity with the city and state legislative processes
- Experience developing and implementing campaign strategy
- Experience with media, traditional and social
Salary and Benefits: $40,000/year at 80% with full benefits package.
To apply: Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills, experience, and interests meet the qualifications of the position to email@example.com, subject line “Community Organizer Application.” Applications are due on Monday, February 20th at 5 PM.
JFREJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, transgender, transsexual, and intersex people, lesbian, gay, queer, and bisexual people, and people who live or have lived in poverty are strongly encouraged to apply.