JFREJ is Hiring: Director of Communications
We are currently seeking a full-time Director of Communications who will develop, oversee, and implement a multi-tiered strategic communications plan to ensure effective communications is integrated into every aspect of JFREJ’s organizing, cultural, and community work, and expands our reach and profile as a leading voice in both the Jewish community and movements for social justice. The Director of Communications will lead and oversee JFREJ’s traditional media/press relations strategies, digital (social media/mobile/website) strategies, publications, and campaign communication strategies. As a senior manager on a small staff team, the ideal candidate is a seasoned communications strategist with at least five years experience in communications, who is committed to JFREJ’s mission, is flexible and effective in a fast-paced and evolving environment, and has a great sense of humor. Applications are due at 5pm on May 13th, 2019.
The Director of Communications will be responsible for the following:
- Create high-impact, multi-channel communications strategies that elevate our organizing campaigns, educate our audiences, shift narratives, and inspire people to take action;
- Develop and execute narrative, digital, and press strategies for campaigns, organizing efforts, and efforts to elevate JFREJ and our partners;
- Work with relevant staff and members to ensure consistent media coverage of JFREJ and ensure that JFREJ’s goals are advanced through new, paid, and traditional media outlets;
- Manage our email platform while developing new strategies for increasing open rates, retention, and growth;
- Manage all social media platforms while developing new strategies for list growth and conversion to other forms of participation;
- Develop and manage monthly analytics plan for tracking organizational communications progress against core deliverables;
- Develop messaging, talking points, graphics, videos, photos, publications and other communications collateral for programmatic work;
- Manage design, production, and dissemination of publications including annual reports, reports, programmatic newsletters, and donor communications;
- Develop and implement crisis and rapid response communications plans responsive to urgent conditions;
- Manage the website, including adding new content, updating design, and increasing traffic, giving, and downloads;
- Support the development team in writing, reviewing, and editing grant proposals and grant reports;
- Train and support other staff, partners, and members to be effective media spokespeople and help amplify our voice; and
- Sit on the JFREJ leadership team with an eye on constantly improving the way that our communications work supports our programmatic and fundraising goals.
Jews For Racial & Economic Justice seeks candidates who are results-oriented, excel at building relationships, and have demonstrated success managing and implemented complicated projects. The Director of Communications will have:
- At least five years relevant experience in communications, including experience in earned media, social media and other digital communications, web development, and list growth;
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategy for campaigns, such as community organizing, political, and legislative campaigns;
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting (and exceeding) high standards and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles;
- A demonstrated record of building relationships with media, pitching and securing media placements, including features, op-eds, LTTEs, and/or broadcast and radio appearances.
- A demonstrated record of participation in successful fundraising efforts, including events, institutional fundraising, and donor communications;
- Excellent writing skills. Candidate should be able to write sharp, memorable copy under short deadline and for different audiences;
- Experience with Campaign Monitor or other similar email programs, and demonstrated success in significant growth in email lists;
- An ability to juggle multiple projects at a time and produce consistently high-quality deliverables in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with diverse groups and populations;
- A sense of humor and ability to roll with the punches in an ever-shifting political and movement landscape;
- Commitment to, and experience with, collaborative team structure and work environments; and
- Deep knowledge of and commitment to racial justice & economic justice.
The following are a plus but not requirements:
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign, PhotoShop, Apple Pages, HTML/CSS;
- Experience organizing with low-income communities, people of color, and immigrant communities;
- Familiarity with the New York Jewish community and the New York political landscape.
- Deep understanding of antisemitism from a left perspective and being able to strategically drive rapid response on it;
- Familiarity with the city and state legislative processes; and
- Experience working in grassroots membership-based organizations with a track record of leveraging communications to increase and develop membership.
Salary and Benefits: $65,000 – $70,000/year, with full benefits package, generous personnel policies, and opportunities for salary growth.
To apply: Please email a resume, writing sample, and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills, experience, and interests meet the qualifications of the position to email@example.com, subject line “Director of Communications Application.” Applications are due at 5pm on May 13th, 2019.
JFREJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, transgender, transsexual, and intersex people, lesbian, gay, queer, and bisexual people, and people who live or have lived in poverty are strongly encouraged to apply.