When we say #NeverAgain, we mean it
Trump has been escalating his rhetoric and threats of mass raids to “round up” immigrants for mass deportations. At the same time, reports are coming in from across the country of immigrants and allies successfully preventing ICE raids in their neighborhoods, and workers defying orders, pressuring their employers to cut ties with ICE. In response to these attacks on the humanity of immigrants, asylum seekers, refugees — and all of us — we will fight back. As Jews, we remember our histories so that we may know more clearly what we must do today. Close to 1,000 of you have RSVP’d, attended, or expressed interest in one of the many Jews Against ICE actions and events that JFREJ has organized. You can sign up for any of the actions listed below (or express interest in future actions) here. Upcoming actions to join with Jews and immigrant-justice groups across the country to rise up and say: #NeverAgain and #CloseTheCamps.
- Wednesday, August 7 - 6-9pm: #JewsAgainstICE Action Night at the JFREJ office, 330 7th Ave, Suite 1901, New York NY. RSVP Here.
- Sunday, August 11 - 2-9:30pm: #JewsAgainstICE Tisha B'Av Action Weekend at Congregation Beit Simchat Torah at 130 W. 30th Street, New York, NY. RSVP Here.
- Tuesday, August 13 - 8-9pm: #JewsAgainstICE Briefing over Zoom (video call). RSVP Here.
- Monday, August 19 - 6-9pm: #JewsAgainstICE Meeting at the JFREJ office, 330 7th Ave, Suite 1901, New York NY. RSVP Here.
- August Tech Worker Outreach: Help do outreach to tech workers throughout the month of August. Shifts will take place between 8-10 AM and 4-6 PM throughout the week. RSVP Here.
- Watch and share this video from Holocaust survivor and JFREJ community member Aliza Levy Erber about the courage we need to summon to show up as we are needed right now, to disrupt the business of cruelty. Use hashtags #JewsAgainstICE & #NeverAgainMeans
The launch of these #NeverAgain actions was Sunday, June 30, when hundreds of Jews and allies sang and prayed together as we showed up alongside Movimiento Cosecha to shut down an ICE detention center in New Jersey for over an hour. Join us as we target those corporations directly profiting off the deportation machine, like Amazon and Palantir, who contract with and profit off of ICE and Trump’s deportation machine. We will not stand by and let these companies make money off of the suffering of migrants and asylum seekers. We will not let them provide the tools, such as facial recognition software, that allows ICE to brutalize immigrants entering the country or already here. If Congress won’t rein them in, the people will. As Aliza says in her message to us, we know that what is happening is not right, and that no government has a right to do it. We know that to honor our ancestors, our families, and the people in our own communities suffering, we must say: #CloseTheCamps and #NeverAgain. Join us.